Tuesday, October 11, 2005

October 11th, 2005
[Oct. 11th, 200512:15 pm]
I was at Lafflines Comedy Club in New Westminster B.C. last weekend. It's right next to Vancouver dumb ass. Man it's like a whole other country up there. If the rest of Canada comedy is like Lafflines, I wish I lived there. It's not just that the crowds were good; which they were. It's what you can get away with as a comic. The 5 or 6 different comics I worked with had no trouble at all talking about religion(Pope bashing, and bible bashing) or politics(George W. and their own.) It's not that every joke about those topics worked, but the crowd at least accepted the idea that it was ok to joke about those subjects. In Seattle, which is a very liberal city as far as America goes, good fucking luck. You have to tread very carefully and skillfully to joke about things that are considered taboo here. In most comedy clubs in America if you just bring up the name George W. Bush a rally breaks out. Unless you really have a point you want to make it's not worth it. I also had fun getting laughs off of the tension and prejudice created by being the only American in the room. I guess going to Canada is the only chance I have to feel like a black comic. So in case any of my white comic friends ever perform in Vancouver B.C. here are a few premises to use.
"Man the Vancouver Olympics would have been different if Americans where in charge.....
"Man the SkyTrain would look different if Americans built it....
"Man your money would look different if Americans printed it...
"Man the metric system would be different if Americans used it...
"Man Canadian Bacon would be different if it was called American Bacon....
"Man when a Canadian has sex their like____________When an American has sex we're like________"
"Man when a Canadian dances their like_________ When an American dances we're like__________"
"Man when a Canadian takes a shit their like__ When an American takes a shit we're like_____________!!!"
"Man when a Canadian gets sick their like "I'm going to go to the doctor" When an American gets sick we're like "Damn I wish I had health insurance."

No comments: