Friday, October 3, 2008

And now for some comedy!

I'm working in New Westminster B.C. this week. I've headlined this club 3 or 4 times, but due to a screw up by the club owner he booked me and another guy to headline the same week. So I have to MC this week and then come back in December and headline like God intended. Just in case you don't go to a lot of comedy shows, the MC is the first guy on stage, does about 10 minutes of comedy, introduces the other acts, and says things like "Don't forget to tip the waitstaff." I haven't had to do it in a long time, and I'd forgotten how much it blows. I'd say it was a good lesson in staying humble, but frankly I don't think I really need any more lessons in humility. I've had enough of those lessons. I'm ready to graduate with a degree in humility. Wednesdays show was a fundraiser for "Cops for Cancer." Judging by the name you'd think it was a group of police that were in favor of cancer, but it was actually some sort of cop bike ride to raise money for cancer kids. The show started with a video about the group and the cause and showed a bunch of kids in the hospital while they played sad music. Ok look I've got my own kids. The thought of them getting cancer is terrifying. It's not like I'm insensitive to the issue, but this is a goddamn comedy show! I'm the MC, I'm the first guy on stage, so now I have to follow a heart wrenching cancer kids video. After the video a guy got on stage and said. "Just so you know the last child they showed on that video died 2 months ago." Then he introduced another guy who proceeded to read a list of 20 kids they'd worked with who had died in the last 5 years. People are crying at this point. I was crying too, but for different reasons. Luckily the decided to take a 5 minute break before they started the comedy show, otherwise it would have been really ugly. The show went ok. Tonights show is a "Firefighters for Herpes" fundraiser, I'll let you know how that goes.

3 comments:

P.L. Frederick said...

Ah hah ha! Over here trying to feel sorry but chuckling gets in the way. Seems akin to performing at a mass funeral. Where you're helping raise money to catch the killer. Fun times!

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

J-Ri said...

Wow, somebody didn't think that one through. Nice read!

AngieSS said...

I know you can hear me laughing all the way over here. Man, I've got tears and that's hard to do -- by way of laughter I mean.

Wow, you are certainly paying your dues, eh?

You, Sir, are a funny, funny man. Thanks!