Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twisted History

When president elect Obama won the election on November 4th, my lady and I decided to let the kids stay up and witness the historic moment. You know first non-white dude president in the history of the United States of America. I just thought they should see it. Maisy is 10 months old so she celebrated the historical evening laughing, crying, and shitting her pants. Everything is historical when you're a baby. Johnny is 6. 6 years olds don't stay up late very well. He watched Obama's speech like a lot of McCain's supporters; Throwing a tantrum with his face buried in the couch and his ass facing the T.V. I'm not sure we should have bothered, kids don't understand racism. I think all we did is introduce him to the concept. When they showed John McCain on T.V. he said "Who's that guy?" I said "Well that's John McCain, he wanted to be president too, but he lost the vote." Then Johnny said "Yeah i knew he couldn't be president 'cause he looks like us. Obama is the first president who doesn't look like us."
I guess he's right. Not exactly how i would have put it, but he's right. Johnny didn't even have any concept of race or skin color until Martin Luther King Jr day at pre-school last year. He came home talking about how "there was a man named King with brown skin and people where mean to him cause they didn't like his skin and he got killed." That also led to an embarrassing incident at the post office a few days later when Johnny pointed to an African man in line behind us and said very loudly "Look daddy that man has very brown skin!" There's nothing wrong with noticing I guess, but until about the age of 4 he never did. I even tested him once. There was a picture of a black man on T.V. and I asked Johnny "What do you think the difference is between daddy and this guy. Johnny said "That guy has a mustache."
I don't think I'm ready to vote for a president with a mustache. That's just how I was raised.

1 comment:

P.L. Frederick said...

Hee hee! Fascinating story. Cute, too.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big