Saturday, April 28, 2012

I believe in the boner fairy

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time over the past few years trying to think of something I could put on a t-shirt to sell after my shows. I mostly annoyed my wife about it. So much so that at this point I can say "Hey do you want to talk about t-shirts?" just to get an eye roll out of her. I've sold cd's for years and I've done pretty well with them, but shirts sell way better. The dumber the shirt the better it seems to sell too. That's why my friend Owen Straw's idea of selling shirts that say "FAART!" on them might just be the best selling comedy shirt ever. No, that's not a misspelling the extra A makes it funnier. Only a moron would buy a shirt that said FART.
For a few years I sold bumper stickers that said "I believe in the Boner Fairy" and I sold, well thousands of them. I stopped because I couldn't stand doing my boner fairy joke anymore. Yeah I do have a boner fairy joke ok. We can't all be doctors. I just didn't want to do the joke anymore. It works and it's funny, but it's old and I was tired of it. That's the decision Gabriel Rutledge the artist made. A few weeks ago Gabe Rutledge the husband and father of 3, told Gabriel Rutledge the artist to fuck off and started selling "I believe in the Boner Fairy" t-shirts. I've sold 36 of them in 5 shows. I'm not sure how good that is compared to other comics who sell shirts, but according to my math 36x$20 = I should have been doing this a long time ago. "I believe in the Boner Fairy" might be an older bit for me, but it's my new favorite joke. They also look good with a kilt

.
And you're right, he probably should have gone with an XL

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

$20 what the hell you think they are made out of gold? whose doing your shirts?? I have a heat Press and white shirts are cheap..call me we can use the machine..we have the power.mike wally

dennis said...

LMAO Hilarious

Anonymous said...

Bought this shirt for my boyfriend in OKC and he loves it!